Remembering Manuel / Recordando a Manuel

I knew Manuel in Caruao (a small town in the north coast of Venezuela), his heart, hardened by the years, was not easy to penetrate, but once overcome that barrier of skepticism and disappointment, a being of great kindness and wisdom was revealed to me, with which I shared several visits in which, often, the camera was in the purse.

I visited him with the first photos that I did, I asked to him what he saw, and he said "a sad man" and I could perceive a slight brightness in his eyes. He requested me some photos that could send to his family, "happy" photos.

These three photos are not part of the "sad" photos , nor of the "happy" ones ; they are my vision of Manuel, that openned the doors to me of his house, his "conuco" and his heart.


A Manuel lo conocí en Caruao, su corazón endurecido por los años no fue fácil de penetrar, pero una vez vencida esa barrera de escepticismo y desengaño, se me reveló un ser de gran bondad y sabiduría, con el que compartí varias visitas en las que, muchas veces, la cámara permaneció en el bolso.

Cuando lo visité con las primeras fotos que hice de él, le pregunté qué veía y me respondió "a un hombre triste" y pude percibir un leve brillo en sus ojos. Luego me pidió que le hiciera unas fotos que pudiera enviar a su familia, unas fotos "alegres".

Estas tres fotos no forman parte de las fotos "tristes", ni de las "alegres"; son mi visión de Manuel, que me abrió las puertas de su casa, su conuco y su corazón.







No hay comentarios.: